Our mission is to transform the way people live in cities. With over 16 million possible combinations of gears, colours, handlebars and accessories, we make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
To change urban living, we need passionate, innovative, and talented people that want to challenge the status quo and make an impact.
Brompton Junction is our retail brand flagship in key strategic cities around the world. Via in-store experts, brand inspiring environments, and the full range of all things Brompton, we strive to offer our community the best in-store experience. We ensure that Brompton Junction is a great place to shop, spend time and be a part of.
Currently our retail network is embarking on an exciting global expansion plan and we are looking for passionate and committed individuals to join our team.
You will be a key member of the team in establishing the brand reputation for best-in-class customer experience for Brompton bikes through all workshop operations. Reporting directly to the Store Manager you will be responsible for ensuring that workshop operations meet the brand expectations at all times.
Working within an “open” workshop, customer-facing environment you possess strong communication skills to build and retain customer loyalty through a warm and friendly approach. Listening carefully to the needs of all customers when assessing their bikes to respond and act in order to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction. You will require confidence to remain positive when dealing with more challenging situations, building the trust of the customer to overcome them. You will ensure personal grooming standards are maintained at all times and that the workshop space is a clean, tidy and well organised space at all times.
You will adopt a helpful and methodical approach whether completing a general service or repairing a puncture complying with company procedures and completing services within to the relevant timescale. Consistent in your approach you will pay attention to detail, incorporating checks for accuracy to ensure that all workorders are completed to the highest standard. You will remain persistent when problem solving, in the case of warranty and more challenging repairs, seeking solutions through the development of your own expertise and that of the technical customer service team, to resolve problems in a timely and thorough manner.
With line management responsibility for a Part-Time Workshop Mechanic you will create a positive atmosphere within the workshop environment and provide motivation to encourage them to commit themselves to the task in hand and where necessary, go beyond the call of duty in order to achieve their key objectives. You will invest time in your own learning and development to ensure that your own technical expertise is maintained in line with company expectations. Utilising the most recent data sheets and completing all relevant Brompton Academy
The successful candidate will be patient, with a friendly approach and enjoy working in structured situations, where hard work and consistent performance are important. Communication and the ability to persuade others in a thorough and factual manner are integral to this function. The person fulfilling this role should have the persistence to see a job through to conclusion and work within specific guidelines whilst adhering to rules and procedures. They should naturally be routine-orientated, methodical, thorough, compliant, cautious, sensitive, diplomatic, self-disciplined, and accommodating. A person with an amiable nature who prefers an environment which is free of trouble and confrontation would be best suited to this role.
With an active nature you will be someone who has an adventurous and explorative approach to life; ideally with an interest in cycling you will adopt a Brompton into your life with ease. Living the brand you will act with authenticity as a brand ambassador.
- Act as a Brand Ambassador to deliver best in class customer experience.
- Provide expert maintenance and diagnostic assessments.
- Respond to workshop enquiries received by phone or email.
- Accountable for hosting monthly maintenance events (virtual and in-store) as a key part of the store community events calendar.
- Promote the workshop services through Brompton social platforms to build customer engagement and advocacy.
- Complete all training required to specified deadline including relevant Brompton Academy modules.
- Provide support to the Sales team during quieter periods in the workshop.
- Support with recruitment and onboarding of Part-Time workshop mechanics.
- Support Store Manager to ensure effective workshop staff deployment, making suggestions according to changing trade patterns.
- Manage workshop calendar and bookings to ensure all workorders completed to the highest standard.
- Carry out workorders and “on the spot” repairs following brand guidelines, referencing data sheets, technical customer service team and Brompton Academy as appropriate.
- Raise timely fault reports with the customer service team to minimise customer wait time for warranty replacements.
- Maintain a workshop environment in line with company expectations including housekeeping and team grooming standards.
- Place replenishment orders of all workshop consumables ensuring stock levels are maintained.
- Highlight any workshop stock opportunities and risks to the Store Manager as appropriate.
- Support with planning and execution of monthly and year end stock counts within the workshop area.
- Follow all standard operating procedures to ensure accurate handling of stock and payment handling through the EPOS system.
- Ensure that you always take care of yours and others health and safety, complying with legal obligations and ensure that all employees are thoroughly trained in the H&S procedures.
- Look for opportunities and lead by example to motivate workshop team to drive store KPIs.
- Communicate any workshop people, operational, commercial issues to the Store Manager as appropriate.
- To attend training and meetings as and when required.
Self – Management
- Passionate about the Brompton brand and customer experience.
- Strong communication skills and able to communicate effectively with a range of people.
- Be a self-starter who can work unsupervised to high standards and meticulous detail.
- Be a team player who will contribute to the continuous improvement goals of the department as well as the company.
- Warm, friendly and engaging personality.
- Outstanding professionalism.
- Energetic and dynamic.
- Outstanding loyalty and commitment to the business.
- Take responsibility for personal development and actively seek opportunities for improvement.
Skills & Attributes
- High level of knowledge and proven experience with the Brompton Bicycle is essential.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Team working skills.
- Competence in Microsoft Office 365 suite including Word, Outlook.
- Cytech Level 2 is preferred or US equivalent.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Brompton utilises Personal Profile Analysis and Psychometric Assessments during the recruitment process to identify the behaviour requirements and working styles of our job functions. Below outlines the four basic characteristics generally displayed in the working environment.
Steadiness (High S)
- This job will best be filled by people who appear calm and self-controlled under most circumstances
- Sincere concern for others and the ability to work comfortably within a team or work-group will strongly favour applicants for this post.
- This job requires the special ability to regularly finish assignments and take tasks through to their natural conclusion.
- Structure, persistence and stability are important components of this job. This position, with few exceptions, will provide an environment characterised by security, proven methodology and specialisation.
- Good day-to-day planning capabilities are an essential ingredient for satisfactory performance.
Influence (High I)
- Positive attitudes and a social disposition will always prove to be a distinct advantage for the person occupying this position.
- Social skills and community responsibilities, both within the organisation, and external to it, will constitute important contributors towards satisfactory performance.
- The possession of strong, inter-personal networks across a range of industries, operations and interests will be highly regarded.
- Public recognition of, and reward for, personal performance will be vital motivators.
- The role offers incumbents the opportunity to meet and mix regularly with others.
Compliance (High C)
- A disciplined and rational approach to problem solving is, without doubt, important for successful candidates.
- Adopting a fearless, innovative and, possibly risk-laden, style is not compatible with the basic demands of this role. The possession of and recognition for specialist or technical competences are factors which are considered to be important.
- This position demands successful candidates to conform closely with policies, procedures and precedent. It is unlikely that the incumbent will be required to take instant, on-the-spot decisions with only superficial analysis and limited supporting data.
Dominance (Low D)
- Incumbents who have the natural skills to exercise caution and care in their day to day responsibilities should find it rewarding working in this position.
- Independent and strong-willed people who are driven to dominate and compete with their peers, are likely to be an unsettling influence in this job.
- Taking great care with, and evaluating the consequences of, critical decisions will be highly regarded.
- Risk awareness and concern for the impact of all one's actions will be traits respected in the successful candidate. An unassuming and unpretentious style will be well suited to the critical requirements of this, at times, conservative position.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international, and ambitious environment.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.