Brompton has ambitious plans for growth over the next 5 years and a key part of this is the introduction of multiple new-to-market products and the relentless refinement of existing products and processes.
The purpose of this role is to ensure that new products deliver the required levels of robustness and performance by defining, managing, and physically performing tests throughout the development process.
- Execute established test methods and contribute to their evolution.
- Produce concise and coherent test reports.
- Liaise with external test houses and manage project testing costs.
- Employ a scientific methodology to design novel test methods with consideration of functional and technical specifications, test fairness and repeatability.
- Through the management of the DVP (design verification plan), guide the evolution of products and components to achieve regulatory and company specific requirements including product durability and performance.
- Managing the timing and priority of the test schedule.
- Participation in DFMEA (design failure mode effect analysis), primarily representing durability and safety standpoints.
- Support Design Engineer colleagues in the design refinement process by offering insight into failure as well as presenting considered recommendations for remedy.
Skills and Experience
- Engineering or science degree.
- 3+ years’ experience in a mechanical product development environment.
- Thorough knowledge of bicycle mechanics and enjoys riding!
- Tirelessly perceptive and critical of all aspects of a design or process.
- Sound understanding of failure mechanisms of metals, composites and plastics, and the major manufacturing processes associated with these materials.
- DVP creation and ownership.
- Accustomed to keeping thorough, archivable notes when designing and conducting tests.
- Very high level of spoken and written technical English.
- Proficient in MS Excel, data analysis and data presentation tools.
- Proven ability to work independently and manage your own time on multiple concurrently running projects.
- Comfortable with manual labour, standing for extended periods and regularly lifting up to 20 kgs.
- DFMEA leadership.
- Knowledge of NDT techniques.