Systems Engineering Lead
Brompton is seeking a Systems Engineering Lead to join our Electric Systems department. The Systems Lead acts as the face of the systems engineering discipline with the business, helping to build the right team to deliver the drive systems into Brompton’s products.
The need for a strong systems team has been growing within Electric Systems and as the department grows a dedicated team is seen as a path to better products, quicker route to market and greater support to other disciplines with the business with respect to systems engineering practices.
The successful candidate will help build up the team with a mix of current staff, future heads and contractors to deliver against the plan. The systems team are the main project interface between Electric Systems and other design teams within Brompton so a mix of engineering management, systems engineering, and functional safety and systems test will be needed to deliver the electronic and system elements into Brompton’s future product roadmap.
Currently Brompton produce an electric bike with internally developed components and future products will build on this success to continuously improve, evolve and reshape electric assisted cycling and bring intelligence to non-assisted products.
- Strong understanding of systems engineering practices and processes
- Team leadership with experience of hiring and managing a small team
- Experience of functional safety activities on similar products following industry specifications such as ISO26262
- Project management skills including timing plans, risk management, resource management
- Experience in requirements management processes and tools, championing their benefit within the wider business
- Creation of high-quality technical documents recording validation & verification type activities
- Excellent ability to prepare technical communication for an audience unfamiliar with hardware and software development, including presentations and strategic summaries
- Understanding of engineering drawing control and ability to read drawings & circuit schematics is an advantage
- Familiarity with a 3D CAD package, ideally Solidworks, would be an advantage but is not required
- Familiarity with electric pedal assisted bicycle technology is an advantage
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the team leader, the role requires the successful candidate to:
- Act as the main face of the systems engineering discipline to other departments & development projects
- Manage a team that are acting as the bridge between the bike-focused Product Design Engineers and the system-focused embedded development teams
- Own the requirements management tool and process
- Promote good practices around engineering management and project delivery for the team members
- Implement new and refine existing relevant processes
- Ensure functional safety processes are being followed and manage safety engineering resource to drive the culture and capability around functional and system safety
- Develop the systems roles within the team and recruit the right individuals
- Perform 1:1’s with the team and help develop the individual talent
- Working with software QA and reliability teams to ensure test process and policy is understood and followed
- Determine needs for development and test equipment
In a systems engineering capacity, the role requires the successful candidate to:
- Capture requirements from stakeholders around the business for the drive systems to be viable and successful, including where these requirements exist outside the scope of a specific project
- Ensuring the impacts and viability of different requirements are communicated through to bicycle development project/s to shape design decisions
- Ensure required technical documentation is produced with a focus on functional safety
- Ensuring the timings, priorities, and remit of system development are agreed with the Embedded Developers
- Supporting the Embedded Developers to navigate technical blockers and problems encountered on the way
- Driving the selection of relevant off-the-shelf components and outsourced technologies (such as motors, batteries, controls, lights, etc.) to compliment in-house components, in order to build the best possible system
- Lead verification testing & activity in conjunction with the Reliability team to ensure the system is properly tested to all required standards
- Assist bike development projects as they go into production launch with provision of any system data or understanding required by other departments
- Act as a focal point for in-service system issues
- Assisting and co-ordinating investigations into system issue root causes where needed
- Monitoring incremental changes and chasing these through the relevant introduction processes to ensure their timely resolution
- Review and respond to in-service performance data to determine Quality or Production improvement opportunities
- Determine what data and trends are required from data analysis
- Own the post launch roadmap of improvement with costs and timings
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience, 10+ years would be advantageous but aptitude and ability is more important
- An interest in cycling and a passion for creating truly useful products that improve people’s lives
- Member of INCOSE or similar body beneficial.
You will have passion for systems engineering and a desire to role that out into the team and more broadly, the business. You will derive satisfaction and enjoyment from leading a team and developing individuals. You will have an aptitude for clear technical communication and a commitment to including stakeholders all the way through your process. You’ll frequently rely upon your abilities to build consensus and collaboration, and you’ll understand how to parse complex information to draw out the key decision points. This role would suit someone who thrives on contact, with a keen sense of curiosity.