Supplier Quality Engineer
Our purpose is to change the way people live in cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere, we can make cities happier places to live. We want to increase people’s freedom, improve their health and reduce society’s impact on the environment. We make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975, but our product has travelled far - we now export 80% of our bicycles to 47 countries. In the past 3 years we have invested in a new purpose-built production facility, transformed our digital architecture, opened new flagship stores and had our biggest product launch in company history and we’re not stopping there - the next 5 years presents an exciting trajectory, full of opportunities.
To truly deliver on our purpose, we need passionate, innovative and talented people that want to challenge the status quo and make an impact. We can offer you a job you won’t find anywhere else.
Ensures that the suppliers continually develop their processes in line with the design intent of the customer and verify their systems to ensure they are compliant with the end customer’s needs. This includes on-going Supplier verification.
The purpose of the role is to support the Supplier Quality Manager responsible for delivering all aspects of the Supplier Quality function. Work in a team environment with suppliers to develop and implement best practices that emphasise defect prevention, reduction in variation and waste and provide for continuous improvements in meeting all customer requirements. Collect Root Cause Analysis and provide corrective feedback to prevent line stops due to supply Issues.
Manage the customer specific requirements and offer technical support to suppliers. Responsible for ensuring that the products produced meet quality standards required to minimise quality costs and maximise Customer satisfaction whilst ensuring that procedures and processes are adhered to. Maintain the robustness of product builds following New Product Introduction to ensure continuity and improvement in supplier capability.
Work on multiple phases or sub-tasks of projects or entire projects of high complexity, with results impacting on project completion. Work reviewed at Project milestones and/or on completion by Senior Management.
General and Task Management
- Carry out supplier validation audits, with supplier support and supplier Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP).
- Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier Process Capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
- Lead the supplier approval process by assessing manufacturing/technology capabilities and Health, Safety and Environmental risks
- Support new product launches to ensure that supplier quality meets the required standards
- Facilitate Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions & Preventative Actions of Supplier Quality Issues
- Perform on-site supplier visits for verification of Corrective Actions & Preventative Actions of Supplier Quality Issues
- Collate and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain
- Work with the supplier directly, create Corrective Action & Preventative Actions Plans to address Process failures
- Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on Process improvement and value enhancement opportunities
- Promote the use of preferred techniques for Continuous Improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poke-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis, and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Provide concise, complete and accurate documentation of Inspection Results relative to area of responsibility. In appropriate functional areas, this refers to supporting inspection and test status requirements defined by Regulations, engineering product specifications or Control Plans, Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) approval or Part Submission Warrant
- Facilitate the escalation of unresolved supplier quality issues within assigned projects and suppliers
- Support the Quality Manager to monitor and report on supplier product Quality and performance
- Deliver training of quality awareness at suppliers & internal
- Report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in order to adhere to Process and prevent occurrence of any non-conformity relating to product, process or system
- Assist with first off sample approvals
- Participate in cross-functional teams in the development of new products or changes related to current products in meeting customer requirements
- Manage and coordinate supplier Parts per Million (PPM), supplier problem solving on time, cost recovery and supplier warranty indicators
- Lead quality audits
- Undertake special projects as required
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Quality control of work by appropriate reviews
- Support and lead process improvement activities at the supplier
- Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to clients
- Achieve goals within budget
- Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs and future trends
- Plan projects or subtasks so they may be tracked and presented
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions
- Produce written reports and provide presentations where necessary
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact
- Undertake personal continuous training and development
- Independently determine approach to supplier strategy and assigned tasks
- Train people within own work group
- Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external Stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Communicate efficiently throughout the supplier management
- Diplomatic approach to relationships
- Comply with the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Assertive, optimistic, resilient and welcomes change
- Engages interest and participation of others and has a collaborative Approach to working with others
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Is self-aware
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Shows moral courage, openness and honesty in all dealings
Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of quality and business systems
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge
- Knowledge of ISO9001/ISO18001
- Understanding of ISO14001
- Knowledge of measurement techniques
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
- Planning and prioritising activities
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Listening skills
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to present data effectively
- Problem-solving skills
- Understanding of Health and Safety practices
- Team working skills
- Analytical skills
- Understanding of cost and financial impacts
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Degree preferred, HNC or equivalent experience in similar role
- Substantial experience in a volume manufacturing environment,
- Experience of working in Quality Assurance
- Experience of Supplier Quality Development
Brompton offers you an excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and co-operate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment, Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and the product, despite any differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Large discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- A choice of working hours, including a 9-day fortnight (i.e. every other Friday off).
- 20 days holiday rising to 25 days, 1 day per year of service, plus Bank Holidays.
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme and other similar benefits.
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, Annual Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.