About the Company
The Brompton is acknowledged worldwide as the finest bicycle of its type. This excellence, combined with a resurgence in cycling for transport, means we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can drive innovation of our products and the processes used to make them. We are proud of our bicycles and enjoy using them.
Brompton Bicycle manufactures in its factory in West London. We export 80% of our production to 44 countries around the globe and intend to produce over 70,000 bikes this year.
If you have enthusiasm, thrive on being given responsibility and want to make great products that make a difference to people’s lives, we can offer you a job you won’t find anywhere else.
Brompton has ambitious plans for growth over the next 5 years and a key part of this is the introduction of new products, which includes new-to-market products and running changes to existing products.
This role will be part of the New Product Introduction (NPI) team of engineers responsible for bringing exciting new products to market, right from the Design stage through to mass production in our West London factory.
This manufacturing engineering role will be responsible for productionisation of new products, the main objectives include:
- Flawless integration of the new products into the main Brompton assembly line.
- Ramp up through pre-production builds, planning and executing them appropriately.
- Manage product launch readiness for Manufacturing Engineering to ensure deliverables are met to plan.
- Work closely with the Design department to ensure final product specifications are suitable for mass production. Ensure robust feedback loops between departments, and communicate lessons learnt once products are in production.
- Work closely with the in-house Tooling & Equipment department to produce in-house jigs and fixtures, produce requirement specifications, perform validation trials, produce installation plans and train operators.
- When needed to purchase new equipment: liaise with machinery suppliers, produce CAPEX budget requests and business cases, negotiate new machinery purchases. Install equipment, perform risk assessments, write standard operating procedures, and train operators.
- Work closely with the supply chain department, help analyse suppliers’ processes and undertake make/buy calculations to compare in-house manufacture with external.
- Implement and handover a Continuous Improvement program once production has started to maximise capacity, quality, and efficiency. Ensure that processes are capable and stable using SPC methodology.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the team, reporting out program status and preparing gate review documents for leadership team.
- Consider new and innovative ideas to drive enhanced operational activities across the business.
- · The ability to establish and cultivate inter-personal relationships and participate with others is advantageous to this role.
- · The ability to create positive and friendly workplace will be expected of the person occupying this role.
- · Influencing and motivational skills are critical requirements for this role.
- · The candidate will take a conventional, systematic and tactical approach to variety of tasks.
- · Compliance with corporate values and culture could be critical to long-term success.
- · The candidate will carefully consider their approach to problem solving.
- · Technical interests, specialist skills and experience are important to this role.
- · The successful will be expected to deal with strong characters.
- · An assertive, but not an aggressive, working style may be a requirement for this role.
- · Some timely decision taking skills and experience are needed for this role.
- · The ability to demonstrate flexibility in approach and persistence to complete assignments on time are important to this role.
- · An energetic working style is needed for the more dynamic and fast paced demands of this job.
- Produce production impact analyses for the suggested designs, analysing the effects on the whole factory and distilling this to a few key KPI’s, such as the cost to manufacture.
- Take the prototype designs and develop suitable manufacturing procedures, including automated processes where deemed necessary.
- Perform verification trials and evaluate the ease and repeatability of the manufacture of new products.
- Ensure the highest quality throughout, minimise teething issues and faults through PFMEA and formal root-cause analysis investigations.
- Write SOPs and process flows to define how the new products are to be manufactured.
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance team to ensure that defects are minimised but are also recorded and acted upon.
Skills and Requirements
- Experience launching new product(s) within a manufacturing environment.
- Technical knowledge of LEAN principles and other manufacturing theories.
- Problem solving experience using Root Cause Analysis, DMAIC or other techniques.
- Exceptional self-motivation and a pro-active confidence needed to identify and prioritise work.
- Project management skills and the ability to balance a variety of tasks, while striving for long-term improvements.
- A hands-on practical approach.
- Good communication skills and the ability to produce clear, precise work instructions.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety law and best practice.
An Engineering degree and the ability to demonstrate a solid engineering mindset are essential, with at least 5 years’ experience in Manufacturing bringing new products to market. Knowledge of the bicycle industry (and specifically Brompton) will support the candidate but is not essential.
The person occupying this role will be able to meet and build relationships with people with ease and use researched information when solving problems and apply logic when handling conflict. The ideal person will take on an energetic and proactive working style and seek to get things done while dealing with a variety of tasks.
The successful candidate will be expected to support those who need assistance and encourages others to perform to the highest standards to complete tasks. They will be able to remain confident when dealing with challenging situations and encourage others to come up with creative and practical solutions to problems that may arise. The ideal candidate will be able to commit themselves to the task at hand and go beyond the limit to achieve their key objectives.
The successful person will have the drive to achieve results in a friendly manner but still maintain quality and standards. They should have the ability to absorb and impart information to others and work in line with the standard operating procedures. The person will have specialist skills and work within the area of knowledge and expertise for this role. Communication, the need to enjoy challenging situations and taking a logical and systematic approach to all tasks is vital to the function of this role. The ideal candidate will be self-confident, pro-active, a self-starter, inquisitive, factual, participative, flexible, adaptable and self-disciplined.