Senior Manufacturing Engineer - Paint & Finish
Tasked with investigating, developing, and implementing solutions to issues throughout the factory, the Senior Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible in leading projects that contribute towards improving manufacturing efficiencies safely by utilizing lean manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques. While this role will be responsible for the factory floor, it will focus on manufacturing process.
- Lead continuous improvement projects to improve manufacturing efficiency, increase capacity and product quality.
- Prepare the scope, technical specifications, and budget for manufacturing projects for your team.
- Responsible for, and required to, take full control of the paint/finish processes, to assist the maintenance and quality teams in fault finding and rectification.
- Propose and implement improvements to the existing processes to meet company objectives, capacity demand and quality standards.
- Assist with developing paint standards and ensuring compliance to those standards.
- Responsible for the tooling and equipment being fit for operations and taking actions to identify and fill gaps where they exist.
- Maximize equipment usage for achievement of project capital target investment.
- Develop process concepts to meet volume aspirations including buffer, technical availability over speeds and takt time to support financial planning volumes.
- Offer technical support to production and shop floor teams.
- Work towards developing processes that are repeatable and reproduceable.
- Work closely with operations department to implement lean manufacturing techniques to find ways to eliminate wastes throughout the production system.
- Improve efficiency through analysis and planning of workflow, space requirements, equipment layout and logistics flow.
- Drive line optimization, timings bottleneck studies and improve current procedures.
- Build and maintain strong professional relationships and establish strong feedback loops between production, quality, NPI, design and customer service teams.
- Assist with the planning, purchase and implementation of new equipment and technologies.
- Consider new and innovative ideas to drive enhanced operational activities across the enterprise.
- Recruitment of new engineers
- Enforce correct working practices within the team, such as document standards and control and HSE requirements.
- Focus the team to meet delivery, performance, and improvement targets for each project.
- Define roles and responsibilities within your team.
- Weekly workload monitoring, prioritizing, adjusting, and allocating.
- Management of appraisal, promotions, disciplinaries, training and the general career development of team members
- Identify new roles required within the team and undertake succession planning.
Skills and Requirements
- Experience of manufacturing process development within paint/powder coating environment.
- Maintain and troubleshoot airflow, pressure, robot application processes/issues.
- Proven demonstrable experience in process/industrial/continuous improvement engineering.
- Technical knowledge and experience of LEAN principles and other manufacturing theories.
- Problem solving experience using Root Cause Analysis, DMAIC or other techniques.
- Exceptional self-motivation and a pro-active confidence needed to identify and prioritise work.
- Project management skills and the ability to balance short-term firefighting with long term improvement projects.
- Prior people management experience is advantageous.
- Excellent understanding of engineering principles.
- Good communication skills and the ability to produce clear, precise instructions.
- Ability to work in a team or alone and unsupervised as needed.
- A hands-on practical approach, ability to work with tools and machinery if required.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety laws and best practice.
- Good stakeholder management.
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The person fulfilling this role will be expected to develop their own competences, deliver results within agreed timescales, and ensure all work is done to the highest standards. They must be consistent in the manner they tackle all tasks which are given to them and be able to create practical procedures which ensure that all projects are completed accurately.
The successful candidate must be able to establish and build relationships with others by listening to what they have to say and then act. They must give support and practical advice in areas where experience and knowledge are needed.
The ideal candidate will have the focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets, and results. They must assert their authority when necessary to ensure agreed deadlines are achieved. They will draw conclusions by probing and contemplate the consequences of any action that is likely to be taken by proving the reliability of the information available.
The successful individual will be persistent and can see a job through to conclusion. They will be systematic, methodical, organised, factual, shrewd, hardworking. They will work within clearly defined parameters and drive to achieve results.
A degree in Engineering or a related field is desirable. The ability to demonstrate a solid engineering background in a relevant environment is essential, with 7-10 years’ experience in manufacturing.