Senior Logistics Engineer
United Kingdom, LondonManufacturing Engineering
Job title: Senior Logistics Engineer
Department: Manufacturing Engineering
Responsible to: Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Hours: 40 hours per week, excluding lunch breaks
This role will be responsible for designing, analysing, and implementing the systems employed in distributing raw material, work in progress, information, and effort across factory operations. They will evaluate all aspects and methods of distribution and presentation with the goal of improving efficiency by clever utilization of space in a safe manner.
- Undertake projects to improve the current layout and flow of operations within the factory and integrate these with the ERP system.
- Effectively lead and manage departments through any change to improve efficiency.
- Improve manufacturing efficiency by analysing and planning workflow, bottlenecks and idle time, space requirements and equipment layouts through Value Stream Mapping or similar tools.
- Identify cost reduction or process improvement logistics opportunities.
- Implement ideal presentation of materials, tools, and information to the point of use (5S).
- Produce standard work procedures across the factory to streamline material flow processes.
- Develop or document reverse logistics management processes to ensure maximum efficiency of product recycling, reuse, or final disposal.
- Review, analyse and improve the design of packaging to maximize value.
- Create models or scenarios to predict the impact of changing circumstances and support all capacity planning activities.
- Develop workflow metrics, internal analysis tools and KPIs for performance of processes.
- Maintain working relationships and establish feedback loops between manufacturing engineering, NPI, quality, stores, and production.
- Enforce correct working practices within the team, such as document standards and control and HSE requirements.
- Focus the team to meet delivery, performance, and improvement targets for each project.
- Define roles and responsibilities within your team.
- Recruitment of new engineers when required.
- Weekly workload monitoring, prioritizing, adjusting, and allocating for the team.
- Management of appraisal, promotions, disciplinaries, training and the general career development of team members.
- Identify new roles required within the team and undertake succession planning.
Skills and Requirements
- Knowledge of Health and Safety law and best practice.
- Demonstrable technical experience and knowledge of LEAN principles including but not limited to, 5S and Value Steam Mapping.
- Prior experience with ERP systems, material flow optimization projects essential.
- Problem solving experience using Root Cause Analysis, DMAIC or other techniques preferred.
- Exceptional self-motivation and a pro-active confidence needed to identify and prioritise work.
- Project management skills and the ability to balance short-term rapid troubleshooting with long term improvement projects.
- An appreciation for inventory tracking technology and ability to evaluate most suitable one for purpose.
- Good communication skills and the ability to produce clear, precise work instructions.
- Ability to work in a team or alone and unsupervised as needed.
- A hands-on practical approach, ability to work with tools and machinery if required.
The person fulfilling this role will be expected to develop their own competences, deliver results within agreed timescales, and ensure all work is done to the highest standards. They must be consistent in the manner they tackle all tasks which are given to them and be able to create practical procedures which ensure that all projects are completed accurately.
The successful candidate must be able to establish and build relationships with others by listening to what they have to say and then act. They must give support and practical advice in areas where experience and knowledge are needed.
The ideal candidate will have the focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets, and results. They must assert their authority when necessary to ensure agreed deadlines are achieved. They will draw conclusions by probing and contemplate the consequences of any action that is likely to be taken by proving the reliability of the information available.
The successful individual will be persistent and can see a job through to conclusion. They will be systematic, methodical, organised, factual, shrewd, hardworking. They will work within clearly defined parameters and drive to achieve results.
A degree in Engineering or a related field is desirable. The ability to demonstrate a solid engineering background in a relevant environment is essential, with at least 5 years’ experience in logistics or material flow planning.
About the Company
The Brompton is acknowledged worldwide as the finest bicycle of its type. This excellence, combined with a resurgence in cycling for transport, means we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can drive innovation of our products and the processes used to make them. We are proud of our bicycles and enjoy using them.
Brompton Bicycle manufactures in its factory in West London. We export 80% of our production to 44 countries around the globe and intend to produce over 100,000 bikes this year.
If you have enthusiasm, thrive on being given responsibility and want to make great products that make a difference to people’s lives, we can offer you a job you won’t find anywhere else.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate, and co-operate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international, and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle.
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.
- A choice of working hours, including a 9-day fortnight (i.e. every other Friday off).
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, rising the longer you stay with us.
- Large discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few.
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.
At Brompton, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity, for that we need people a bit like our bikes. Brompton is unique, inventive, and unafraid to challenge conventional wisdom and so we welcome applications from people irrespective of their age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We strive to create an environment where our people feel included, heard, and equal and will do all we can to help you thrive.
We are committed to making our jobs accessible to all applicants. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please let us know and we will do our best to support.