Senior Design Engineer
We want you to get under the skin of the product, what it does and the broader aims of the Brompton company. Use your creativity and technical knowledge to make advances in our product that are of real value to our customers
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help make the business case for new product concepts and changes, including tooling budgets and expected return on investment.
- As part of the team you will conduct research relevant to each project covering:
- Technical aspects of mechanical principles involved
- Appropriate manufacturing methods based on Brompton capabilities and state of the art methods
- Create briefs, specifications and design verification plans based on project requirements.
- Generate concepts for new developments in line with project briefs and specifications.
- Present ideas through sketches and hand-made prototypes for selection by the wider team.
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including
- 3D CAD modelling using Solidworks
- 2D critical dimension drawings
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources)
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic, and ergonomic approach with the wider design team
- Generate and maintain bills of materials.
- Throughout your role you will also liaise with:
- The purchasing team to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects
- Production engineering to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Quality to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- Third party suppliers to obtain initial tooling quotations
- Marketing and sales to ensure they are informed and consulted on the designs as they develop.
- Portfolio demonstrating experience in mechanism and aesthetic design.
- Experience in a similar role ideally within automotive, aerospace or consumer product development.
- High level of CAD ability covering solid and advanced surfacing techniques. Preferably Solidworks.
- An in depth understanding of and ability to calculate static and fatigue strength requirements of your designs.
- Experience of FEA is an advantage
- Experience of project ownership from concept through to mass production and beyond.
- Proven ability to produce designs to specified lead times and costs.
- Ability to mentor and guide junior team members.
- Supervisory experience and the ability to check/approve designs for release.
- Experience of relevant manufacturing techniques:
- Injection moulding
- Die casting
- Welding and brazing
- Paint and coating application
- Surface treatment
- Heat treatment
- Spring specification
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Flexible working options including 9 day fortnight.
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The Company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the Company’s business.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalise peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
A minimum of 10+ years of relevant industry experience.