Job title: Purchasing Manager
Team: 7 direct reports
Department Supply Chain
Responsible to Head of Supply Chain
About the Company
Brompton wants to transform cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere we can make cities better places to live in. Our high-quality products, combined with resurgence in cycling, means that we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can contribute to our ambitious aims. We are a truly global company exporting 80% of our production to 45 countries around the world and intend to produce over 100,000+ bikes this year; though we believe we are just getting started. We can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else.
Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Purchasing department, motivating and leading the team are essential qualities in this role. The successful candidate will ensure that parts are brought to the correct specification, on time and cost effectively. You will be responsible managing and monitoring stock levels ensuring that they meet the business projections and have previously worked in an environment which operated an S&OP process. You will also be responsible for developing and implementing new processes within the department.
- Control the Purchasing Department budgets - Circa £16m spend.
- Actively engaging in the cost reduction programs and targets set by the business.
- Developing key relationships within the supply base.
- Drive and develop the purchasing strategy for all major components.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Overseeing the placing of purchase orders with suppliers, ensuring costs are maintained along with delivery times.
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received and ensuring that any errors are fully investigated and resolved.
- Managing the overall purchasing team’s day to day activities.
- Reporting monthly on the KPI’s for the department, with action plans to address any adverse trends.
- Working closely with the NPI Buying Team to ensure the smooth transition from NPI to series production.
- Review purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Attending internal meetings with various departments, including but not limited to Sales, Design, Quality, and Finance.
- Reviewing the stock levels to ensure the business meets its production targets whilst maintaining minimal levels of stock.
- Ensuring all invoice queries are investigated and resolved.
- Compliance with all processes and procedures in place within the Purchasing Department.
- Working on projects as and when required
- Actively engage in the S&OP process and be one of the key contributors to the meeting.
- Plan workflow and schedules for production departments.
- Any other jobs around the factory that may be deemed necessary.
- Good communication skills at different levels of the business.
- Ability to build key relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Driven, motivational and a positive attitude.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Punctual, methodical, adaptable, and reliable.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Experience working with global suppliers.
- Experience managing a team.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a “hands on” procurement role.
- Experience working in a technical procurement environment (e.g., aerospace, automotive, capital machinery, engineering).
- Working knowledge of the relevant modules and functions within an MRP system.
- MS Office knowledge must be good, especially Excel and Teams.
- CIPS certified, desirable but not essential.
- A working knowledge of manufacturing processes
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate, and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international, and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brampton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you are early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few.
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.