PRODUCT DESIGN ENGINEER
We want you to get under the skin of the products and the broader aims of the Brompton company. Use your creativity and technical knowledge to generate products that are of real value to our customers and that contain the Brompton DNA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with product management to help make the business cases for new projects.
- Create briefs, specifications and design verification plans based on project requirements.
- Work across the wider design team to develop concepts turning them into real products that work seamlessly with our range, meet target prices and delight our users.
- As part of the team you will conduct research relevant to each project covering:
- Design empathy
- Technical aspects of mechanical principles involved
- Appropriate manufacturing methods based on Brompton capabilities and state of the art methods
- Present ideas through sketches and prototypes for selection by the wider team.
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic, and ergonomic approach with the wider design team
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including
- 3D CAD modelling using Solidworks
- 2D critical dimension drawings
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources)
- Generate and maintain bills of materials.
- Throughout your role you will also liaise with:
- The purchasing team to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects
- Production engineering to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Quality to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- Third party suppliers to obtain initial tooling quotations and work through DFM/DFA issues.
- Product management to ensure they are informed and consulted on the designs as they develop.
- Portfolio demonstrating experience in mechanism and aesthetic design.
- Experience in a similar role ideally within consumer product development or design consultancy.
- Proven experience is design of products for end consumer use.
- High level of CAD ability covering solid and advanced surfacing techniques. Preferably Solidworks.
- Experience of project ownership from concept through to mass production and beyond.
- Proven ability to produce designs to specified lead times and costs.
- Experience of relevant manufacturing techniques is an advantage:
- Injection moulding
- Die casting
- Paint and coating application
- Surface treatment
- Spring specification
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
- A minimum of 5+ years of relevant industry experience.