Product Cost Engineer
London, England, United KingdomDesign Product Development
Join us in transforming urban living! Brompton Bicycle is more than just a company - we're a community of innovators who are passionate about changing the world, one bike at a time. Our bikes are not just a means of transportation - they're a reflection of our values, creativity, and commitment to excellence.
With over 16 million possible combinations of gears, colours, handlebars, and accessories, we're all about giving our customers the power to create their own personalized Brompton bike. And we're not stopping there - in the past 36 months, we've invested in new facilities, transformed our digital presence, opened new flagship stores, and launched our biggest product line ever!
We are hiring a Product Cost Engineer who will be responsible for the tracking and management of product costs throughout the complete product lifecycle. We are looking for you to create new BOM’s as-well as being able to interrogate existing documents, to provide intelligent analysis on costing and generate strategies that track costs in our new designs effectively.
You’ll be working with an in-house Design/Engineering team, as well as OEM’s/suppliers to fully understand our cost base and drive savings where appropriate.
We need a strong communicator with a technical mindset who is going to help navigate product development here at Brompton…could this be you?
Responsibilities of the Role
- Collaborate with Product Design project teams to understand engineering and provide cost insight of design and manufacturing decisions.
- Build “should cost” models for new designs.
- Track product costs through product development gate process and work with Product Design Team to meet the cost target, costs should include: BOM, Packaging, Manufacturing Overheads
- Negotiate internally to ensure that correct targets are set for our product costs – spec vs costs.
- Drive Value Engineering where possible. Definition of appropriate targets set and drive a cost focused mindset.
- Complexity management, and consideration of how reducing complexity increases efficiency, and saves in terms of “back-end” costs.
Ideally, we are looking for someone from a Design or Engineering background with sound technical consumer goods experience…understanding of manufacturing processes is even better!
We offer a range of benefits to our employees that make working at Brompton Bicycle even more rewarding. Here is a snapshot of what we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Take time off to recharge and enjoy life with 25 days of holiday plus public holidays.
- We offer hybrid working and a flexible 9-day working pattern, so you can strike the perfect work-life balance that suits you.
- As an employee, you'll have your own loan Brompton to ride, so you can explore your local area on two wheels.
- Finally, we offer friends and family discounts on Brompton products, so you can share the love and help spread the joy of cycling to those you care about.