Outsource Quality Engineer
Working within a dedicated cross-functional team to successfully transfer identified operations to an external manufacturing partner. The purpose of the role is to support the Outsource Project Manager and to collaborate with internal and external resources to implement best Quality practices that emphasise defect prevention, reduction in variation and waste and provide for continuous improvements in meeting all customer requirements. Collect Root Cause Analysis and provide corrective feedback to prevent line stops due to supply Issues.
Responsible for ensuring that the products produced meet quality standards required to minimise quality costs and maximise Customer satisfaction whilst ensuring that procedures and processes are adhered to. Maintain the robustness of product builds to ensure continuity and improvement in the supplier partner capability.
Work on multiple phases or sub-tasks of projects or entire projects of high complexity, with results impacting on project completion. Work reviewed at Project milestones and/or on completion by Senior Management.
- Contribute to the development of the Outsourcing Strategy
- Support, develop and manage in line with the Supplier & Customer Quality Management strategies striving for best in class products and business practices to deliver to the customer’s expectations.
- Strategic and tactical support for implementing procedures to meet the strategic operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost and delivery, optimising production quality levels and supporting operational excellence
- Monitor, support, and report Key Performance Indicators across all relevant areas relating to the Connected Quality Strategy and ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards.
General and Task Management
- Carry out supplier validation audits, with Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) methodology.
- Work with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure Process Capability is effective to meet product and process requirements
- Manage aspects of the external approval process by assessing manufacturing/technology capabilities and Health, Safety and Environmental risks
- Support all Outsource Projects to ensure that the Supplier Partner quality meets the required standards
- Facilitate Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions & Preventative Actions of Quality Issues
- Collate and evaluate Quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supplier partners
- Work with the internal departments directly, create Corrective Action & Preventative Actions Plans to address Process failures
- Review manufacturing processes, collaborate on Process improvement and value enhancement opportunities
- Promote the use of preferred techniques for Continuous Improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poke-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis, and Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (PFMEA)
- Provide concise, complete, and accurate documentation of Inspection Results relative to area of responsibility. In appropriate functional areas, this refers to supporting Supplier Partner inspection and test status requirements defined by Regulations, engineering product specifications or Control Plans, Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) approval or Part Submission Warrant
- Facilitate the escalation of unresolved Quality issues within assigned projects and Supplier Partners
- Support the Outsource Project Manager to monitor and report on Quality and performance
- Deliver training of quality awareness with the Supplier Partners
- Develop mechanisms & procedures to report on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to adhere to Process and prevent occurrence of any non-conformity relating to product, process, or system
- Assist with first off sample approvals
- Participate in cross-functional teams in the development of outsourced operations or changes related to current products in meeting customer requirements
- Manage and coordinate Defects Parts per Million (SDPPM), problem solving on time, cost recovery and warranty indicators
- Perform on-site supplier visits for verification of Corrective Actions & Preventative Actions of Quality Issues
- Undertake special projects as required
- Contribute to continuous improvement activities
- Quality control of work by appropriate reviews
- Support and lead process improvement activities
- Write reports and present progress at project meetings and to stakeholders
- Achieve goals within budget
- Conduct benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs and future trends
- Plan projects or subtasks so they may be tracked and presented
- Attend various meetings and action/communicate instructions
- Produce written reports and provide presentations where necessary
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact
- Undertake personal continuous training and development
- Independently determine approach to strategy and assigned tasks
- Train people within own work group
- Relationship Management
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external Stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Diplomatic approach to relationships
- Comply with the Health, Safety and Environmental Policies
- Assertive, optimistic, resilient and welcomes change
- Engages interest and participation of others and has a collaborative approach to working with others
- Proactively contributes to the team
- Is self-aware
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Shows moral courage, openness, and honesty in all dealings
The person occupying this role will be able to meet and build relationships with people with ease and use researched information when solving problems and apply logic when handling conflict. The ideal person will take on an energetic and proactive working style and seek to get things done while dealing with a variety of tasks.
The successful candidate will be expected to support those who need assistance and encourages others to perform to the highest standards to complete tasks. They will be able to remain confident when dealing with challenging situations and encourage others to come up with creative and practical solutions to problems that may arise. The ideal candidate will be able to commit themselves to the task at hand and go beyond the limit to achieve their key objectives.
Brompton utilises Personal Profile Analysis and Psychometric Assessment during the recruitment process. This allows to identify the ideal behavioural requirements for each job function in terms of Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Compliance. The ideal behavioural profile for this role is set out below:
Influence (High I)
- The ability to establish and cultivate inter-personal relationships and participate with others is advantageous to this role.
- The ability to create positive and friendly workplace will be expected of the person occupying this role.
- Influencing and motivational skills are critical requirements for this role.
Compliance (High C)
- The candidate will take a conventional, systematic, and tactical approach to variety of tasks.
- Compliance with corporate values and culture could be critical to long-term success.
- The candidate will carefully consider their approach to problem solving.
- Technical interests, specialist skills and experience are important to this role.
Dominance (High D)
- The successful will be expected to deal with strong characters.
- An assertive, but not an aggressive, working style may be a requirement for this role.
- Timely decision taking skills and experience are needed for this role.
Steadiness (Low S)
- The ability to demonstrate flexibility in approach and persistence to complete assignments on time are important to this role.
- An energetic working style is needed for the more dynamic and fast paced demands of this job.
Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of quality and business systems
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Lean Manufacturing knowledge
- Knowledge of ISO9001:2015
- Understanding of ISO14001:2015/ISO45001:2018
- Knowledge of measurement techniques
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings to BS8888 including GD&T
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment
- Planning and prioritising activities
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Listening skills
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to present data effectively
- Problem-solving skills
- Team working skills
- Analytical skills
- Understanding of cost and financial impacts
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Degree preferred, HNC or equivalent experience in similar role
- Substantial experience in a volume manufacturing environment,
- Experience of working in Quality Assurance
- Experience of Supplier Quality Development