Modelling and Simulation Engineer
About the Company
Brompton wants to transform cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere we can make cities better places to live in. Our high-quality products, combined with resurgence in cycling, means that we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can contribute to our ambitious aims. We are a truly global company exporting 80% of our production to 45 countries around the world and intend to produce over 75,000 bikes this year; though we believe we’re just getting started. We can offer you a job you won’t find anywhere else. Brompton has an ambitious target for growth over the next 5 years in which the Brompton Electric is a major part.
The role is focused on the research & development of models and simulations to enable deep understanding, accelerate development, and reduce verification & validation timescales of Brompton Electric platforms. This is a pivotal role in the creation and improvement of all Electric platforms within Brompton Bicycle, requiring an excellent candidate.
- To apply modelling and simulation to the entire engineering life-cycle of a system, from specification, to design, to verification & validation
- To work with and enable Systems Engineer’s understanding and designing of complex systems, i.e., selection, sizing & design of components to optimal criteria
- To enable and be involved in research and development of ride & sensor fusion algorithms
- To develop relevant aspects of the verification and validation capabilities using Software-in-the-Loop & Hardware-in-the-Loop testing strategies
- To report research findings clearly in technical reports
- To enable research of current and future technologies for application on Brompton Electric Bicycles
- Solid understanding and experience of simulation environments, e.g. Mathworks Simulink & Simscape or Modelica
- High competency in modelling of physical systems (Electrical, Mechanical, Thermal, etc) & their associated control systems
- Proven ability to develop models from first principles
- Ability to understand and analyse complex multi-domain systems
- Ability to interpret and implement models based on literature
- A moderate understanding of electrical, software & mechanical principles
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics & fields
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
Ability/willingness to cycle
Experience with Hardware-in-the-Loop rigs from major vendors such as Speedgoat or DSpace
Experience with algorithm development & sensor fusion
Knowledge of system dynamics and control
Knowledge of batteries, inverters, and electric machines
Ability to form & manage work-packages in partnership with academic institutions
An appreciation of Systems Engineering principles, e.g. Requirements, Traceability, etc.
Basic understanding of human biomechanics and/or physiology
Ideally the individual will have the following educational and professional qualifications or experience:
- Degree education in related subjects (computer science, systems engineering, electronics, electrical engineering, mechatronics, etc).
- The ability to demonstrate a solid engineering/technical background in a relevant environment.
- The ability to demonstrate hands on experience in a similar role.
- The successful candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience as an engineer.
Brompton offers you an excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, hard-working and we firmly believe in maintaining a work-life balance. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
20 to 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays (depending on seniority), increasing the longer you stay with us
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching