Mechanical Engineer – advanced materials and technologies
The Brompton is the iconic product of its type, a unique bike used and loved in over forty countries around the world. Sales have grown rapidly over the last ten years, making us the largest bicycle manufacturer in the UK, with our products still designed and made by hand right here in London. Despite this we feel like we’re just getting started and there is huge potential to make our bike lighter, more capable and more fun to use.
As a design team we are passionate about making the best bike we can and approach this in an unusual way. we design all of our own components so we get exactly what we want and need them to be. Brompton is created by us from nose-to-tail.
We are seeking a skilled mechanical engineer to join our team and help deliver the next ten years of Brompton products.
The successful candidate will join Brompton advanced engineering team supporting all the research activities related to innovative materials and manufacturing technologies for the future products. The successful candidate will show flexibility and familiarity with any area of mechanical engineering, will be able to design and invent and will demonstrate strong curiosity while applying an interdisciplinary approach.
Daily work involves (but not limited to):
- Design and manufacturing of prototypes using a network of partners and suppliers
- Building demo bikes or supporting teardown activities
- Should cost estimates and modelling
- Design of experiments, data collection and analysis (noise and vibration, mechanical properties, metallography,…)
- Design and build test rigs for the prove out of technologies
- Support the broader research team in their daily activities
- Min 3 years experience in a design environment or OEMs
- Degree in mechanical Engineer and/or Materials (Msc. Preferable)
- Mechanical design experience working in 2D/3D CAD drawing in Solidworks
- Knowledge of the most common manufacturing processes for metals and composites
- Solid academic background in Mechanical engineering, with understanding of principles of structural engineering
- Good commercial awareness or willing to learn
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to interpret and read technical drawings
- High proficiency of Microsoft Excel
- Highly motivated, a self-starter and a self-learner
- Very good communication skills and soft skills.
- Experience with casting or forging technologies for aluminium alloys or steel (or ability to design for such technologies)
- Understanding materials selection and characterisation processes
- Ability to work with external stakeholders, suppliers and partners
- Experience within the bike industry is a plus
- Familiarity with standard bicycles’ componentry and how to build/disassemble bikes is a plus
- Good knowledge about DOE setup and execution
- Familiarity with Six Sigma approach