Materials Project Coordinator
The Materials Project Coordinator has the responsibility for materials in new product development, driving and leading materials project management as part of project management team. Required to control and report on the material status, material flows, component costs and project spend in development projects. Reporting to the Project Manager, the focus is on achieving project milestones and targets, as defined in Brompton’s product development process. Also, the preparation of project milestone review documents
An independent and self-directed individual is required to ensure material availability for prototype builds according to project schedules.
Projects will vary from small accessories to major entire bike developments. Responsibility includes working with suppliers and internal Brompton teams. This role demands a wide perspective on what it takes to deliver successful products to market.
- Manage the materials need for R&D samples, pre-production and factory builds, version change verifications of assigned project(s) according to project schedule, budget, and other business targets
- Active participation and contribution in build meetings including analysing project material needs and proposing alternative solutions for materials gaps
- Facilitate information flows between Supply Chain, Design, Production, and suppliers
- Manage the project pre-production stocks to ensure cost efficient use of material.
- Ensure material availability in product ramp up
- Materials activity progress reporting, follow up, risk analysis and corrective actions
- Maintenance of project cost models and reporting of cost trends
- Identification of project specific materials related risks
- Support the Sourcing Manager and Project Manager in project budgeting / Latest estimates
- Contribute to the completion of milestone documentation required for project sub reviews
- Preparation and completion of project handover document to continuous improvement and operations team
Skills and Experience
- 2 – 3 years commercial experience in a materials management / sourcing environment
- Knowledge of supply chain management best practices
- Ability to balance business needs, work priorities and project issues
- Good planning, organising, prioritisation skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving ability
- Ability to work with different functions across the business and network builder.
- Strong influencing skills
- Hands-on attitude
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Experienced user of MS Office toolset (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project).
Brompton utilises Personal Profile Analysis and Psychometric Assessments during the recruitment process to identify the behaviour requirements and working styles of our job functions. Below outlines the 4 basic characteristics generally displayed in the working environment. This job profile will allow all candidates to decide if they fit the profile for the role.
The Job Profile indicates that the person in this job should be friendly, assertive, independent, quick paced and have the
ability to motivate others. Contact ability and communication are also likely to be key notes, as the job environment may
require the active influencing and persuading of a variety of people in changing situations. The generation of many contacts
and involvement in selling a product or concept by gaining willing acceptance may be important within the function. The
incumbent should enjoy challenging situations and have the flexibility to work in an unstructured environment where there is
freedom to act and the authority to take decisions.
Influence (High I)
- Social activities and community responsibilities external to the organisation will sometimes be required of the role
- Candidates who exude natural self-confidence will be actively sought after.
- Gaining the enthusiastic commitment of others is an important component of this job.
Dominance (High D)
- The ability to solve problems and implement appropriate remedial measures would benefit the incumbent.
- An assertive, but not an aggressive, style could be a requirement of this post.
- The ability to set tough goals and reacting quickly to change will be viewed in a positive light.
Compliance (Low C)
- Strong-willed and independent candidates will comply with a number of important components of this role.
- Firm, even, at times, unconventional independence, will be a requirement of this position.
- Someone, who is policy compliant, systematic and perfectionistic may not be compatible with the key requirements of this position.
Steadiness (Low S)
- Being self-critical and fault-finding will play an important part in the delivery of superior performance.
- This position calls for candidates who are anxious to maintain a high work rate and who will be discontented merely maintaining the status quo.
- Candidates who are always looking for new and better ways of doing things will be welcomed in this role. Mobility and alertness will be required of incumbents who intend to perform satisfactorily in this position.