Marketing Manager - Japan
Tokyo, Tokyo, JapanMarketing
About the Company
Join us in transforming urban living! Brompton Bicycle is more than just a company - we're a community of innovators who are passionate about changing the world, one bike at a time. Our bikes are not just a means of transportation - they're a reflection of our values, creativity, and commitment to excellence.
With over 16 million possible combinations of gears, colours, handlebars, and accessories, we're all about giving our customers the power to create their own personalized Brompton bike. And we're not stopping there - in the past 36 months, we've invested in new facilities, transformed our digital
Reporting directly to the Japan Country Manager and indirectly to the APAC Marketing Manager, this role is required to reflect our increased presence and responsibility in Japan as we establish direct distribution with our retailers and build our direct-to-consumer channels (Brompton Junction retail store and ecommerce). To meet our growth ambitions, we need to build awareness, engagement, and trial amongst a broader range of prospective customers, while localising the global marketing strategy.
This role will take ownership for developing and executing marketing plans locally, supported by our APAC Marketing Manager based in Singapore. This role will involve working with local Sales Managers, the global marketing team [London-based] and a host of agency/freelancer partners across the markets.
The position requires a motivated, experienced, and creative marketing professional to develop and execute our marketing strategy for Japan.
Measures of success
- Creation and execution of local marketing strategy, informed by market and consumer insights
- Achievement of marketing objectives and KPIs (including brand awareness, web traffic, CRM database and delivery of partnership marketing campaigns through Retail network).
- On-time delivery of all marketing campaign elements
- Support delivery of local sales budgets
- In conjunction with the International Marketing Manager and APAC Marketing Manager, lead development of the local marketing strategy, annual budget and calendar through localisation of global campaigns and the creation of local marketing campaigns.
- Conduct market analysis and deeper market and consumer research to identify insights and Brompton’s competitive advantage in key cities. Apply these learnings to develop your marketing strategy and campaigns.
- Identify and execute marketing campaigns across appropriate marketing channels to reach target audience in your region (including digital, outdoor, print, PR, trade, events, among other channels).
Digital Marketing and Communications:
- Launch and grow e-commerce channel (direct and retailer) and drive continued growth of other sales channels – through paid media, SEO support, localised content, social media and CRM. Liaise with media agency to execute local marketing plans.
- Work with the Global content team and SEO agency to implement best in class local website content and search visibility.
- Develop and maintain network of local agency/freelancer partners to support across Media, PR, Social, Content.
Local Trade and Retail Marketing:
- Work with Retail Marketing team to inform visual merchandising plan, including POS support materials, graphics and guidelines.
- Localise Brompton Junction marketing plans for stores. Work with Retail Marketing and Junction Operations teams in HQ to ensure new and existing Brompton Junctions are successfully launched and supported for ongoing growth through retail campaigns/POS, community marketing and exciting in-store events schedule.
- Brief in requirements for retail and trade marketing activities (including translation, POS, sales literature, and campaign elements) to Retail Marketing Team.
- This role will require travel across the country to support marketing activities, meet partners, attend key events and gather local insights.
- 4+ years’ marketing experience, with demonstrated ability of managing full-mix marketing plans, including digital and retail/trade marketing.
- Paid Media and SEO experience, ideally gained through working alongside e-commerce teams.
- Preferably 1+ years’ line management experience.
- Marketing or Business degree, or equivalent level of qualification.
- Native Japanese speaker and fluent in written and verbal English.
- Proven experience building and managing strategic marketing plans, projects, and significant budgets.
- Experience working for a global, multi-region brand or retailer.
- Desired experience working within cycling, sports or outdoor industry.
Personal attributes and skills:
- Commercially minded with a strategic approach to prioritization.
- Comfortable with presenting and influencing all levels of an organization, especially senior management.
- Autonomous and proven self-starter.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-moving and entrepreneurial environment, especially when working remotely.
- Ability to influence and persuade others, and work within large global marketing team.
- Culturally aware and able to interface well with internal and external stakeholders from various regions.