Manufacturing Automation Engineer
London, England, United Kingdom
Join us in transforming urban living! Brompton Bicycle is more than just a company - we're a community of innovators who are passionate about changing the world, one bike at a time. Our bikes are not just a means of transportation - they're a reflection of our values, creativity, and commitment to excellence.
To keep changing the game, we need talented, innovative, and passionate people who aren't afraid to challenge the status quo and make a real impact. Our bikes are already recognised as the finest of their kind, and our mission to provide a sustainable solution to the world is where it begins but we are just getting started!
About the role
The manufacturing engineering team take new or existing manufacturing processes and use technology to make them more efficient, safer, and better quality. Working with our internal Tooling and Equipment team as well as world-renowned solutions providers, you will drive ideas to fruition and make them work reliability in the real world. A hands-on approach will be required to work on all aspects of engineering projects as well as exercising excellent IT skills to interrogate code and providing thorough documentation.
This role is offered as a 6-month paternity cover, 40 hours per week, based on-site in London.
- Mange engineering automation projects through to launch.
- Deliver a seamless handover to the production, facilities and maintenance teams as well as cross functional stakeholders. This includes a suite of engineering documents, but namely, PFMEA.
- Design, develop, test, and implement efficient process solutions that automate current hand brazing to increase scalability, increase quality and reduce the cost of manufacture.
- Project manage the robot brazing project to automate hand brazing, considering the requirements of other departments and the production schedule.
- Create and modify programs for automated hardware and a relentless focus on precision engineering with a focus on manufacturing process details.
- Install equipment, train users, and write training manuals.
- Deliver a complete manufacturing process to production, will includes layout, material flow, data collection and analysis, and integration into current processes.
- Work seamlessly with several related functions including: Tooling and Equipment team to produce specifications for bespoke tooling and equipment requires. Design team to provide DfM and DfA feedback to potential design solutions. Production and Continuous improvement teams, enabling a smooth handover after project launch. Maintenance team to develop TPM schedules.
Skills and Requirements
- An Engineering, Manufacturing, or Computer Science degree.
- Experience with automation systems (robots, vision systems, PLCs, etc.).
- Experience within automation programming environments.
- Experience with CAD (preferably SolidWorks).
- Understanding of Lean principles and Six Sigma.
- Familiarity with Industry 4.0 / Smart Factory concepts, Digital Manufacturing Simulation.
- Understanding of networking concepts (ie: TCP/IP).
- Knowledge of phase-gate project management.
- Project management skills and the foresight to consider future requirements.
- A critical, methodical mind capable of weighing up complex scenarios.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety law and best practice, as well as PUWER 98.
We offer a range of benefits to our employees that make working at Brompton Bicycle even more rewarding. Here is what some of them look like:
- Competitive salary
- Take time off to recharge and enjoy life with 25 days of holiday plus public holidays.
- Access to many mental health resources including MIND and Headspace, plus discounts to many retailers using Reward Gateway
- As an employee, you'll have your own loan Brompton to ride, so you can explore your local area on two wheels.
- Finally, we offer friends and family discounts on Brompton products, so you can share the love and help spread the joy of cycling to those you care about.