Interim Head of Quality & Compliance
Job title: Interim Head of Quality & Compliance
Department: Quality & Compliance
Responsible to: Chief Operations Officer
About the Company
Brompton wants to transform cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere we can make cities better places to live in. Our high quality products, combined with resurgence in cycling, means that we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. We are introducing new products with increasing cadence and constantly evolving our existing product portfolio.
Purpose of the Role:
Brompton has a need for an interim Head of Quality to support the departmental structure of customer quality, supplier quality, quality systems, product compliance and HSE. A new Quality & Compliance Director role is currently being recruited and the department needs immediate day to day support from an experienced Quality & Compliance head whilst this process is ongoing. The position is expected to be required for six months.
- Provide single point of contact for COO on Quality and Compliance matters.
- Work closely with Suppliers, Supply chain, Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Production and Customer Services regarding technical support of their activities.
- Responsible for all areas of the Quality function and provide support within Operations.
- Support the on going development of an Integrated Management system, to support certification to BS ISO 9001:2015, BS ISO 14001:2015, BS ISO 45001:2018
- Provide clear leadership and and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills.
- Monitor and report Key Performance Indicators across all relevant areas of the business to ensure that all projects are delivered on cost and on time to the highest quality standards.
- Drive Continuous Improvement across all quality related areas of the business.
- Overall responsibility for Quality activities across the business until Director role hired.
- Support and implement best practice quality systems, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance
- Ensure that quality strategies and processes are being supported to meet business objectives and operational needs in terms of price, quality and delivery targets and which enables the company to function and compete effectively in the market and in a sustained manner
- Evaluate the challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities.
General and Task Management
- Lead and manage the quality function from new product conception through to warranty analysis to ensure a proactive culture so that customers receive the product to the highest standard of quality possible
- Drive any necessary culture change and improvement in business performance to deliver strategic goals
- Actively lead the reduction of customer warranty issues, Cost of poor quality and in-house scrap and waste
- Implement new quality processes and systems where appropriate
- Educate cross functionally in best quality practices and processes.
- Assist in continuous improvement activities throughout the business ensuring that problems are prevented and that customer requirements are met with any problems resolved effectively and economically
- Work to prevent non-conformances, customer complaints, concession and rework alongside Manufacturing/ Engineering and Operations to develop corrective and preventative actions within required time-frame
- Maintain procedures and processes to ISO9001:2015, ensuring companywide compliance to UK, legal and customer specifications and standards
- Ensure effective internal and external audits happen as well as assessment and audit of subcontractors to minimise non-value added
- Ensure that corrective actions are delivered and non-compliance issues are resolved on time
- Support project management to cross functional activity required for project execution
- Report on Quality activities on a regular basis to the Senior Management team, ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the relevant Key Performance Indicators
- Ensure that all regulatory and quality standards and procedures are adhered to
- Provide leadership to departments under their control and coach, mentor and develop direct reports and manage a high performing team that delivers continuous improvement, added value and cost reductions
- Set department objectives and monitor on going progress and performance in a timely manner
- Ensure strong communication between teams under leadership to facilitate exchange of information and in order to implement change and improvements
- Lead on qualities cross-functional involvement in both new product introduction and support of existing serial production.
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors and any other organisational and ethical requirements
- Responsible for developing the appropriate organisational structure, resource plans and culture to support the business objectives and customer deliverables
- Provide leadership, coordination and coaching to the team, ensuring they are trained enabling them to achieve the operational and financial metrics within their areas of responsibility and succeed in their roles
- Manage any people issues in conjunction with HR
- Coordinate with design and engineering to ensure repeatable manufacture of product while maintaining quality, safety and environmental standards and achieving cost targets in a timely fashion
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the quality strategy
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of technology change and potential effects on supply. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimising cost
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on manufacturing activities
- Inspire and motivate the team
- Consistently manages performance firmly and fairly and in a supportive manner
- Resilient, optimistic and open to change
- Act with emotional intelligence in working with colleagues to meet business needs.
- Self motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Is confident, assertive and self assured
- Has a collaborative approach to others
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- A dedication to identifying and rectifying root cause of issues.
- Strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets
- Technical mindset
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant commercial or engineering discipline
- Appropriate qualification in quality management
- Considerable and diverse demonstrable experience of leading a quality function with a proven track record in strategic quality leadership delivering effective quality strategies, policies, processes and systems
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
- Proven project management and quality experience
- Experience of operating and influencing at a strategic level
- Knowledge and technical understanding of quality processes, components and manufacturing techniques
- Chartered Membership of an industry related Professional Body desirable
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, increasing the longer you stay with us
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching