The Brompton is the iconic product of its type, a unique bike used and loved in over forty countries around the world. Sales have grown rapidly over the last ten years, making us the largest bicycle manufacturer in the UK, with our products still designed and made by hand right here in London. Despite this we feel like we’re just getting started and there is huge potential to make the bike lighter, more capable and more fun to use.
As a design team we are passionate about making the best bike we can and approach this in an unusual way; we design all of our own components, so they are exactly what we want and need them to be. Brakes, gears, tyres, luggage, frame parts and almost everything else. Brompton is created by us from nose-to-tail. Each project is therefore different; in some you will be designing a part for minimum weight and high stiffness, other projects will emphasise ergonomics, or making Brompton intuitive to use.
We want you to get under the skin of the product, what it does and the broader aims of the Brompton company.
Help challenge the status quo and use your creativity and technical knowledge to make advances in our products that are of real value to our customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Get involved in initial user and design research to help guide the product management team in the specification of new products and projects in our range.
- Journey mapping
- Persona development
- Human factors and ergonomics
- Work with the industrial design team to maintain a consistent visual language across product lines.
- Attend workshops with the wider design team:
- Initial brainstorming and concept development
- Concept selection
- Usability evaluation
- Support the design team when required in ‘A’ surface design of parts, be that in creation or guidance.
- Create material and present to the wider team and department directors to illustrate concept development and allow for rapid decision making.
- Throughout your role you will mainly liaise with:
- Product management, establishing and agreeing project direction.
- Design, following concepts through to design release ensuring adherence to visual quality.
- Senior management team to relay project direction at key milestone reviews.
- An excellent portfolio demonstrating a high level of attention to aesthetic detail.
- Solid theoretical and practical experience in qualitative research techniques is a benefit.
- Good level of CAD proficiency in both solid and surface modelling - Preferably SolidWorks
- Good level of rendering and presentation skills/understanding – Preferably Keyshot
- Good level of photoshop and illustrator ability.
- Excellent sketching and in-meeting communication
- Good level of sketch modelling and 3D prototyping (hand skills)
- Experience and appreciation for designing for metals highly desirable.
- Demonstratable experience in designing for complex mechanical products is a benefit.
- Experience with design for integration of electronic products is a benefit.
- Demonstratable experience in UX design for products desirable
- Experience of designing for soft and sewn goods is a benefit.
- Experience in design of on product graphics and user instruction illustration desirable.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Industrial design.
- 3-5 years of relevant industry experience.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Flexible working options including 9 day fortnight.
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.