Head of Manufacturing
Job title Head or Manufacturing
Responsible to Operations Director
About the Company
Brompton wants to transform cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere we can make cities better places to live in. Our high-quality products, combined with resurgence in cycling, means that we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can contribute to our ambitious aims. We are a truly global company exporting 80% of our production to 45 countries around the world and intend to produce over 80,000 bikes this year; though we believe we’re just getting started. We can offer you a job you won’t find anywhere else.
Brompton is entering a new era in its production environment. A diverse portfolio of new products are to be introduced over the coming years that will require new approaches across our manufacturing and operational areas.
We are therefore seeking an experienced manufacturing professional to take a pivotal role in meeting the growing customer demand for our core product and assist in developing our production processes and teams to meet the increased complexities of our multi-product future.
Head of Manufacturing is a challenging role requiring excellent delegation, empowerment and communication skills, able to create a high performing inclusive organisation. Reporting to the Operations Director you are required to provide effective focus on Medium (3-12 month) term strategic projects and coordinate tactical responses to near term situations, acting with peer “Heads of” to effectively guide and prioritise activity to produce great performance from an engaged energised team.
- Effectively and efficiently manage the production of the required daily/weekly/quarterly targets and ensuring the required best working practices are always maintained.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, working with Peers, Directors and team members as necessary to form cohesive plans.
- Aid prioritisation of Change Requests, to match business needs, identifying where necessary corrective actions to resolve non-conformities.
- Champion a safety first culture addressing immediate and ergonomic risks.
- Support Monthly S&OP Cycle and weekly project reviews to drive capacities to meet demand.
- Set in place appropriate development and training plans across the production team, target investment in talent.
- Ensure provision of resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required.
- Drive Department Improvement using A3 thinking with PMO support to deliver vision and execution of improvement projects.
- Consistently promote high levels of working and ethical standards through personal example.
- Periodically review focus and effectivity of change processes, ensuring organisational structure is suitable to meet objectives.
- Develop Surge capacity to support, opportunistic, seasonal and mix variation.
- Contribute to and govern scenario planning, ensuring upcoming increases in product mix and seasonality are capture and tested.
- Champion 8D, A3, Kaizen problem solving capabilities within teams, driving change engagement at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrate open and fair approach to leadership, coaching operational leadership structure in good pastoral practices.
- Strong vision of progressive manufacturing principles and how they can be integrated to realise impactful change to manufacturing environment.
- Ownership of KPIs across manufacturing environment
- Represent Production interests at “Heads of” level
- Support Marketing and Commercial team activities to promote wider organisational interests.
- Prepare budgets and report budgetary performance
- Produce monthly Board updates.
- Line management of 5 departmental manager and circa 200 staff.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Experience of a wide variety of manufacturing, processes, activities and systems
- Practically minded with strong mechanical and electrical knowledge.
- 5 Years senior Operational leadership experience
- Operated in Matrixed organisation
- Experience of leading large teams ideally over shifts.
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Highly computer literate, MS365 programs/ MS Project/ CAD
- Strong influencing /interpersonal skills
- Inquisitive and thorough
- Methodical and prepared
- Strong and broad experience of Lean CI methodologies
- Highly Emotionally Intelligent
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you are early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, increasing the longer you stay with us
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…..
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching
Applicants must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The Company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the Company’s business.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.