Director of Quality & Compliance
Job title: Quality and Compliance Director
Department: Quality & Compliance
About the Company
Brompton wants to create urban freedom for happier lives. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere we can make cities better places to live. Our high quality products, combined with the surge in interest in cycling means that we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive we need to recruit great people who can contribute to our ambitious aims. We are a truly global company exporting 80% of our production to 45 countries around the world, we produced over 70,000 bikes this year and have ambitious growth plans for the coming years. We can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else.
Brompton is entering a new era in its growth on the global stage. A diverse portfolio of new products is being introduced over the coming years and we are seeing rapid growth in the uptake in our existing product portfolio around the world. This requires an active and dynamic approach to how we manage Quality and Compliance.
Brompton is seeking an experienced Quality and Compliance professional to take a pivotal role in managing our increasingly diverse and complex product mix and ensuring they consistently delight our customer. This needs to be delivered alongside the adherence to all necessary elements of product compliance throughout our operating regions.
The role is a new level of seniority, identified as necessary in our rapidly scaling company. It will preside over functions in Supplier Quality, Customer (internal) Quality, Quality Systems, Product Compliance and Health and Safety and Environmental Compliance. The role reports into the Chief Operations Officer.
Purpose of the Role:
- Lead the Quality and Compliance teams at a Director level
- Strategic and tactical responsibility for implementing Brompton’s quality systems and meeting the strategic operational goals to exceed customer expectations for product quality, cost and delivery.
- Optimising production quality levels and supporting operational excellence.
- Working closely with Suppliers, Supply chain, Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Production and Customer Services regarding technical support of their activities.
- Provide clear leadership and vision, inspire and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them as they develop new skills.
- Monitor and report Key Performance Indicators that ensure quality standards are being maintained and issues are recognised and resolved with agility.
- Drive Continuous Improvement activity across all quality related areas of the business.
- Drive any necessary culture change and improvement in business performance to deliver quality and compliance strategic goals
- Establish quality and reliability standards by studying industry benchmarks and the requirements of customers and research/design and development, and define the metrics required to assess performance against standards required
- Actively lead the reduction of customer warranty issues, Cost of poor quality and in-house scrap and waste
- Review quality processes and systems and introduce improvement where appropriate.
- Educate cross functionally in best quality practices and processes.
- Assist in continuous improvement activities throughout the business ensuring that problems are prevented and that customer requirements are met with any problems resolved effectively and economically
- Work to prevent non-conformances, customer complaints, concession and rework alongside Manufacturing/ Engineering and Operations to develop corrective and preventative actions within required time-frame
- Develop and deliver an updates Integrated Management System, supporting certification to certification to Standards, BS ISO 9001:2015, BS ISO 14001:2015, BS ISO 45001:2018
- Ensure effective internal and external audits happen as well as assessment and audit of subcontractors to minimise non-value added
- Ensure that corrective actions are delivered and non-compliance issues are resolved on time and around wider business needs
Strategy and Development:
- Overall responsibility for Quality and Compliance and contributing activities across the business.
- Sit on Executive board of Chiefs and Directors.
- Create and implement best practice visions, strategies, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance.
- Lead strategy for Quality and Compliance that ensures our efforts are customer focussed.
- Ensure that the quality and compliance capabilities and resources are in place to deliver the company’s strategic goals required to meet customer requirements.
- Identify and evaluate the challenges and risks faced by the business and implement appropriate mitigating actions.
- Contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process.
- Set the expectations for Environmental, Health and Safety across the organisation and work with senior management to ensure these are maintained
- Work closely with Operations director to ensure ramp up plans can be supported and opportunities for continuous improvement are recognised and implemented.
- Work with Manufacturing and Customer Services to deliver a customer focused operational culture delivering world class customer satisfaction levels.
- Work with the Digital team to ensure our ERP systems and all its system integrations are supporting the Quality and Compliance activities effectively.
- Work with the sales and commercial teams to ensure new country role outs have correct compliance approvals.
- Provide an agreed service level to our customer services department in the support of warranty investigations and support.
- Work with the NPI teams to ensure quality approvals of new product release are considered and achievable and all compliance requirements are met.
- Work with NPI and Change Control team to ensure successful management change from a quality and compliance standpoint
- Support project management to cross functional activity required for project execution.
- Work with Digital team to integrate new system solutions needed to offer greater customer satisfaction performance.
Financial and Budget Management:
- Input and hold responsibility for department budgets.
- Prepare the annual department budget and forecasts.
- Ensure justifiable business cases for all Capital and Operational Expenditure proposals.
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the company strategy.
- Proactively work with Factory Managers, Manufacturing Engineering and other departments to incorporate best practices in problem solving in the manufacturing environment.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Quality and Compliance activities.
Skills and Attributes:
- Proven leadership and management skills in Quality and Compliance with the ability to optimise team performance and development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- Experience of delivering new strategic solutions, gained within rapidly growing international businesses
- Strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels
- Ability to inspire and motivate
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets
- Resilient, self motivated and able to work well under pressure
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
- Have a high degree of IT acumen
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Educated to degree level (preferably Masters) in a relevant discipline or equivalent NVQ Level 7 qualification.
- Preferably a Fellow or Chartered Member of an industry related Professional Body
- You will need to demonstrate complex problem-solving skills and be able to give an example of how you resolved the situation. Excellent communication skills and a highly professional outlook.
- You will have strong leadership, communications, collaboration, mentoring and interpersonal skills.
- You will have experience of managing Quality and Compliance in a manufactured consumer goods environment.
- You will be pro-active and react with urgency and flexibility to issues or opportunities
- You will have experience of managing workload of self and others to ensure tasking completed to schedule.
- You will have experience of providing leadership and direction with emphasis on team building through effective communications.
- You must work effectively across departments, promoting open communications demonstrating having an emotional intelligence to other departments focuses.
- You will possess an ability to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought and decisive authority.
- You will demonstrate a meticulous attention to detail and the ability to learn new technologies and techniques rapidly.
- You will have experience with continuous improvement methodologies and be able to drive an improvement culture.
- Six sigma experience is advantageous
- A Fluent command of the English language is essential.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, increasing the longer you stay with us
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few…
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching
Only candidates with the right to work in the UK will be considered.