Design Engineer - PDD
We are seeking a passionate and effective design engineer to join our continuous improvement team. You will work within the design team and predominantly with the production, quality, and supply chain teams to make improvements to our production products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Throughout your role you will liaise with:
- The Manufacturing Engineering team to support delivery of work packages that drive efficiency and growth in production.
- Production engineering to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Third party suppliers to support design-related activities regarding successful production transfer and subsequent part qualification.
- Quality to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- The Purchasing team to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects.
- Attend progress meetings to report on status of open projects.
- Work with the team on priority setting for the management of developments required for product improvement.
- Generate concepts for improvements in line with project briefs and specifications.
- Responsibility for the creation 3D and 2D data of design solutions to identified requirements.
- Present ideas through sketches and hand-made prototypes for review with the wider team.
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including
- 3D CAD modelling using SolidWorks.
- 2D critical dimension drawings.
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources).
- Follow design verification plans to physically validate concepts and designs in line with internal test procedures and industry standard requirements.
- Maintain bills of materials to document proposed product changes.
- Experience in a similar role ideally within automotive, aerospace or consumer product development.
- Demonstrated skills in
- 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks.
- Ownership of accurate CAD master model.
- Ownership of issues to closure.
- Datums and their relationship to tolerance analysis loops.
- Drawing approval.
- FMEA management.
- Experience of BOM management.
- Proven ability to work with multiple projects simultaneously and to demonstrate tight project management capability.
- Ability to work equally well individually or within a team.
- Exposure to and experience of relevant manufacturing techniques is an advantage:
- Welding and brazing
- Die casting
- Surface treatment
- Heat treatment
- Paint and coating application
- Injection moulding
- Spring specification
QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL
Master’s or bachelor’s degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
3-5 years of relevant industry experience, ideally within a continuous improvement role.
This role is based in West London. Although we are currently working to reduce days on-site candidates must be able to commute to the office daily when required.