JOB TITLE - DESIGN ENGINEER
DEPARTMENT - DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
REPORTS TO - DESIGN LEAD – GEARING AND DRIVETRAIN
The Brompton is the iconic product of its type, a unique bike used and loved in over forty countries around the world. Sales have grown rapidly over the last ten years, making us the largest bicycle manufacturer in the UK, with our products still designed and made by hand right here in London. Despite this we feel like we are just getting started and there is huge potential to make our products lighter, more capable, and more fun to use.
We are looking for an experienced design engineer to help make some of these products a reality.
We want you to get under the skin of the products and the broader aims of the Brompton company. Use your creativity and technical knowledge to generate products that are of real value to our customers and that contain the Brompton DNA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the gearing lead designer to assist the product development of our increasing range.
- Review current bespoke gearing designs and assist in troubleshooting activities.
- Remain informed on current state of the art within the wider cycling industry with respect to helping identify standard components that may be suitable for use on Brompton products.
- Test and validate new designs and developments helping to ensure robust product roll out.
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic, and ergonomic approach with the wider design team.
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including:
- 3D CAD modelling using SolidWorks.
- 2D critical dimension drawings
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources)
- Generate and maintain bills of materials.
- Throughout your role you will also liaise with:
- The purchasing team to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects.
- Production engineering to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Quality to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- Third party suppliers to obtain initial tooling quotations and work through DFM/DFA issues.
- Product management to ensure they are informed and consulted on the designs as they develop.
§ Portfolio demonstrating clear experience in mechanical design of small and complex mechanisms.
§ Ability to work with, design and specify metal components.
§ Experience with plastic injection moulding an advantage.
- Experience in a similar role ideally within consumer product development or design consultancy.
- Proven experience is design of products for end consumer use.
- Proven ability to produce designs to specified lead times and costs.
- Experience of relevant manufacturing techniques is an advantage:
- Die casting.
- Stamping and pressing.
- Surface treatment.
- Spring specification.
- Injection moulding
- Position to thrive. Whether you’re early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events.
- 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays.
- Flexible working options including 9 day fortnight.
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too).
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching.
Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant industry experience.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.