Customer Service Workshop Manager
We are looking for an experienced senior Workshop Manager to join our Customer Service team.
The ideal candidate will have experience in establishing and managing multiple workshops in various locations. They will be expected to develop and improve the UK workshop while implementing new workshops in worldwide locations in line with Brompton’s long-term strategy. These workshops are expected to provide return-to-base servicing for various customer types including retailers, consumers and hire members. The ideal candidate should be capable of implementing and managing all aspects of the workshop operations, but also be comfortable getting hands-on in the workshop from time-to-time.
Please note that experience in a bicycle specific workshop or the bicycle industry is not required, and training can be provided.
This is a full-time position based in Greenford, London, involving international travel and occasional weekend work.
- Develop the global Workshop strategy in line with the long-term business strategy.
- Implement, manage and develop a global return-to-base bicycle servicing platform including end of life / sustainability to support all retailers and consumers in line with strategy.
- Management and servicing of Hire, Marketing and Staff bike fleets, ensuring that they are always available for use.
- Build, lead, and develop the global Workshop team.
- Provide full managerial support to the current and future Service Centres.
Facilities Development -
- Finding locations, negotiating leases, designing workshop, negotiating with contractors
- Ensure availability of work tools, machine, and other necessary equipment required for the performance of job duties.
- Ensure all operations comply with health and safety laws, policies, and procedures.
People Management -
- In close coordination with the People Team, the individual is responsible for all HR processes for the team, including recruitment, performance management, development, and training.
- Mentor and motivate technical staff to deliver timely and high-quality services to customers.
- Coordinate and assign technical personnel according to their capabilities to ensure an even distribution of workload.
- Increase team knowledge on the service and processes by creating relevant training materials and deliver training to technical staff to ensure a competent and effective workforce.
- Monitor and review employee work performance to identify areas of inefficiency.
Process Management -
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the performance of work operations.
- Implement and continuously monitor team KPIs. Ensure processes are in place for continuous improvement to ensure all customers receive a high-quality service in line with brand values and customer expectations.
- Conduct periodic inspections to ensure the efficient performance of work equipment and systems.
- Maintain documentation and proper records of work operations and decisions taken.
- Assist the eLearning Manager to deliver online and in-person technical training to our retailers.
Department Management -
- Produce and communicate budget, management, quality and productivity reports and statistics to the Customer Service Manager and Headquarters as appropriate.
- Creation of a positive and stimulating work environment and ensuring the teams’ engagement, work quality and productivity.
- Plan, budget and forecast annual expenses and staff requirements.
- Prepare cost estimates required for operations, labour, and materials.
- Work closely with the Brompton Bicycle and Brompton Bike Hire Customer Service Managers to ensure that service levels are aligned, and teams effectively collaborate to the benefit of customers.
- Supervise and coordinate technical staff operations to ensure proper resolution of customer warranty and servicing requests.
- Present reports of work operations to company management in order to provide information useful in taking key business decisions.
Measures of success
- Delivery of on time, in full projects / services
- Meeting specific KPIs and annual targets
- Adherence to specific SLA per customer type
- High quality customer service experience (CSat, NPS & AHT)
- Development of DTC & B2B after sales support channel
- High performance of both the business and your workshop team
- Budget accuracy
- Quality of relationships with peers and customers
Position in Organisation
- Reporting into Head of Customer Service based in London HQ, reporting into the Chief Commercial Officer who sits on the Board
- Working closely with Presales Manager, After Sales Manager, eLearning Manager, Senior Events Executive, E-Commerce Trading Manager, Hire Operations Manager
Required Skills and Experience
- University level education or equivalent experience.
- Experience in managing consumer facing workshops, preferably in multiple locations providing return to base servicing through collection and delivery partners
- Well-rounded organisational and analytical skills, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, under pressure, meeting tight deadlines and budgets.
- Experience in building a successful team from scratch by managing the recruitment, onboarding, and ongoing training processes.
- Ability to improve and implement new processes.
- Successful experience in mastering product technical knowledge and documentation.
- Experience of working closely with high volume delivery partners.
- Professional communication and people skills with a genuine desire to provide excellent service.
- Project management skills with proven experience in successfully delivering significant projects.
- Ability to create relevant reports and analyse data to drive improvement in product and service.
- Experience with implementing and using a workshop booking and stock management system.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and high-pressured environment.
- A team player who will contribute to the continuous improvement of the department and company.
- An understanding of Brompton’s ethos and how this has shaped its brand values.
- Able to work some weekends, early morning, or evenings.
- Able to work remotely as required.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Cytech Technical, Cytech Technical e-bike, Bosch, Shimano, Step or other relevant qualification.
- Experience with using a CRM system, ideally Salesforce.
- Experience in Dangerous Goods handling, particularly class 9 specific to batteries.
- At ease in recommending technical solutions with regards to services and repairs.
- Strong understanding of the servicing requirements of bikes and cycle technology inc. e-bikes.
- At least 4 years’ experience of a significant and fast paced workshop management involving a mechanical product within a similar industry.
- Experience of managing distance / return-to-base servicing and repairs.