London, England, United KingdomDesign and Development
The Brompton bike was first designed by Andrew Ritchie in 1975 opposite the Brompton Oratory in South Kensington, hence the name. Since then, production has remained in London, and we’re now producing over 90,000 bikes a year, and recently just hit a huge milestone and sold our 1 millionth bike!
Brompton is the largest independent British bicycle manufacturer with a team of over 800 talented people, and we’re constantly growing. We specialise in designing and manufacturing high-quality folding bicycles for the urban market, and pride ourselves on building a genuinely sustainable and accountable business.
We are on a mission to transform urban living, and because of this are looking for talented and passionate people who want to make a difference.
You will in this role sit within the Prototyping department, and your focus will be to work with Design Engineers and prepare CAD files offline (CAD/CAMM) and operate a 5 axis CNC mill to produce parts with tight tolerance in small batches.
Joining as a member of this team means you should be open to learning new skills and have the enthusiasm to tackle new technologies. As a machine operator you will be a flexible, multi skilled person who can easily transfer between machine processes within the department. Required to occasionally work with manual mill and lathe when supporting the team with projects. This is an exciting role for the right person that wants to work within Product Development and doesn’t mind tackling various tasks at any one time.
Due to the nature of this position you will be required to work in our Greenford, London office 5 days a week (4 days during your shorter weeks).
You will be:
- Working offline programming CAD/CAMM (5axis).
- Replenishing consumables and tooling for machinery
- Produce parts to quality standards from engineering drawings and to expected target times.
- Ensuring that machinery is always operated safely and helping to support on continuous improvements.
- Liaising closely and supporting the design department, updating them of any potential issues.
- Working as part of a small team inspecting own work and that of others within the section.
- Operation of 3D printers and manual machinery.
- General housekeeping of machinery and workshop environment.
- Supporting with the training of apprentices and trainees.
You will have:
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a relevant position (CNC Programmer/Operator etc.)
- Good awareness of Health & Safety standards.
- Willingness to undertake required training to improve or update skills.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills, having a good knowledge of production processes and systems.
- Ability to understand why improvements are needed
- Experience with Hurco platform is beneficial, but not essential for this role.
You might not tick all the boxes, and that’s okay, we still encourage you to apply. Here at Brompton we are always looking for people that share the same values and attitudes as we do, as we continue to build diverse teams and a sense of community which is made stronger by each new individual who joins.
Benefits at Brompton :
Brompton offers you an excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along, communicate and co-operate well with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment, Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle Ltd; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and the product, despite any differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Flexible Working – Flexible working hours and a 9-day fortnight (i.e. every second Friday off).
- Annual Leave - 20 days annual leave, plus all UK bank holidays.
- Competitive Salary – Plus workplace pension scheme and profit share bonus.
- Brompton Discount - Get ready to bike in style, as all employee’s receive up to 60% off their very own bike and accessories, plus there are discounts for your friends and family too.
- Social activities - Throughout the year enjoy time with your colleagues as we host an annual Summer and Christmas party, annual bike rides (both inside and outside the UK), Birthday breakfast, volunteering activities and family fun days just to name a few.
- Learning and Development - Access to free Linkedin Learning and opportunity to devote some of your time at work to personal development. We value professional development and actively promote internal promotions and opportunities.
- Benefits - Workplace Pension Scheme, Care and Health Support, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme and other benefits.
- Mental Health – We provide access to a confidential EAP that offers counselling, resources and support for various mental health challenges. There’s also Head Space, Brompton’s approved wellness program for employees.
- Paid Leave – We offer an enhanced Family, Paternity and Maternity leave pay.