Category Buyer - Electric Parts
United Kingdom, LondonSupply Chain
The Brompton is acknowledged worldwide as the finest bike of its type and this excellence, combined with resurgence in cycling for transport means we are enjoying strong, sustained growth. If we are to continue to thrive, we need to recruit great people who can drive innovation of our products and the processes used to make them. We are proud of our bikes and enjoy using them. We export 80% of our production to 44 countries around the globe and intend to produce over 71,000 bikes this year but believe that we are just getting started.
Brompton Bicycle manufactures in its factory in West London a bike that is generally considered the best portable bike there is. The company is privately-owned, successful, and profitable, and we have good relationships with our distributors and users.
If you have huge enthusiasm, thrive on being given responsibility and want to make great products that make a difference to people’s lives we can offer you a job you will not find anywhere else.
Uniform: The Company wishes to portray a corporate and professional business image to its clients and customers. It also wants to ensure that clothing is compatible with safe moving and handling practices, reducing the risk of injury. To this end you will be supplied with Company polo shirts that you will be required to wear
The category buyer is expected to mainly manage the E bike parts, such as batteries, motors, and control modules by setting-up long-term category strategies and implementing these strategies to achieve a secure and flexible supply chain, good supplier relationship and best value out of the supply base.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Development of a 3–5-year long-term purchasing strategy for each allocated category
- Conducting analysis, such as supply market trend analysis, spend analysis and stock level analysis.
- Implement the purchasing strategy for each allocated category to achieve the most beneficial supply base for the company, including cost saving, efficiency and flexibility improvement as well as risk avoidance and business contingency planning, etc
Sourcing/New projects/Continuous Improvement projects:
- Working collaboratively with the NPI cross-functional project team and ensuring early involvement of strategic procurement and suppliers into all relevant internal and external project activities
- Project feasibility analysis regarding costing and lead times
- Conducting sourcing, RFI, RFP, RFQ, and supplier selection activities, etc
- Purchasing samples/prototypes
- Making sure suppliers deliver tasks to the agreed project timelines
- All the necessary item information is set up in ERP system and all the supplier documents/package reflect the item information
- Bringing suppliers’ new technology to benefit Brompton
- All design changes are implemented on new and existing products via NPI or CR/CN process (including making sure any changes are reflected in specifications and drawings by the Design team)
- Setting up/negotiating/updating contracts with existing and new suppliers appropriately, including prices, lead times, payment terms, delivery terms, service levels and KPIs.
- Making sure the contracts are filed and stored appropriately
- Closely working with Production Buying team to monitor and review performances with suppliers
- Agreeing and monitoring improvement plans with suppliers if their performances deviate from the agreed KPIs in the contract
- Monitoring and reporting periodically the raw material price indices, such as steel, aluminium, rubber, etc
- Analysing changes (beneficial and adverse) and driving cost improvements through various purchasing tools and strategies
- Setting up a cost estimation model for the allocated category.
- Advising cross-functional team approaches/solutions to achieve the best value for money
Supplier relationship management:
- Building and driving relationships with suppliers to improve pricing and quality of services
- Ensuring good communication at all times
- Establishing escalation process and prioritization of any issues impacting the supply chain
- Periodical meetings and audits with suppliers, including visits to suppliers as required
- Updating and reviewing periodically the risk profile of every supplier and score against an internal matrix.
- Managing procurement risks like supply disruption, lead time & price increases, supplier unreliability, IPR leakages, financial stability, and geopolitical risks
- Working with suppliers to agree on corrective actions to resolve escalated issues from Production Buying team, such as deliveries and quality issues.
Key skills/experiences/knowledge required:
- Minimum 2-5 years category management experience in manufacturing industry
- Contract management experience
- In-depth knowledge of manufacturing process and supply markets in E-bike assemblies, e.g., batteries, motors, control modules and electronic components like ICs, resistors, and etc.
- Must have analytical skills and be a problem solver
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft office software, especially EXCEL to conduct data analysis
- Must have a basic understanding of engineering drawings
- Proactive, attention to detail and good at communication
- A track record of achievements in the purchasing area
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Full driving licence
- CIPS qualification
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Supply Chain Management, Business or Engineering.
Brompton offers you a very excellent working environment with enthusiastic colleagues who get along very well, communicate, and cooperate with each other. The working climate is informal, but we work hard. Next to good terms of employment Brompton offers you the opportunity to work in a responsible and challenging job within a dynamic, international, and ambitious environment. We are all proud to be part of Brompton Bicycle; we all share the same passion and dedication to the company and embrace differences in cultural backgrounds and skills.
- Huge discount on your very own Brompton (family and friends get discount too)
- Position to thrive. Whether you are early in your career or an experienced professional, Brompton provides you with everything you need to excel in your job and for personal growth. You will be actively encouraged to increase your skillset and to attend relevant events
- 20 days holiday plus Bank Holidays, increasing the longer you stay with us
- Workplace Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan, Childcare Vouchers, Flexible Working, Cycle to Work Scheme to name just a few….
- Birthday Breakfast, Family Fun Days, Christmas Parties, London to Brighton Bike Rides, Charity Raffles, Volunteering with the local community all go towards creating a working environment that is fun and enriching